Permits & Regulations

Below are links to help you find the permits you might need:

Bureau of Land Management

Film Production companies should contact the local Bureau of Land Management office to advise them of their activity and determine whether or not a permit and/or fees are required. Each local Bureau of Land Management Field Office authorizes filming on public lands within its jurisdiction. Each location is unique and is subject to different conditions.  For information about filming on land managed by the Bureau of Land Management check the BLM web site.

National Forest Service

The National Forest Service manages over 192 million acres of National Forests and Grasslands that comprise the National Forest System. The Forest Service's Special Uses Program authorizes uses on National Forest Service land that provide a benefit to the general public and protect public and natural resources.

National Parks and National Historic Sites

Lands of the United States were set aside by Congress to conserve and protect areas of untold beauty and grandeur, historical importance, and uniqueness for future generations. The National Park Service permits commercial filming and still photography when it is consistent with the park's mission and will not harm the resource or interfere with the visitor experience.  For information about filming in National Parks check the NPS website.


National Wildlife Refuges

Colorado has six National Wildlife Refuges. To film in a National Wildlife Refuge in Colorado, follow the link to the Directory Listing of Colorado National Wildlife Refuges and contact information to obtain permission for film or television production.  For information about filming in National Wildlife Refuges check the NWF web site.

Colorado State Parks

Each year, Colorado State Parks receive thousands of individual and business applications for authorization for use of Colorado State Parks for photography, film and video productions. Colorado State Park Managers carefully review each application to determine how the request affects the public's use of the Colorado State Park land they manage.

Colorado State Patrol

When Commercial or Film Production involves state road closure or impacts the normal flow of traffic, you'll need to obtain a Special Event Permit from the The Colorado State Patrol.

Community Contacts 


Colorado cities and towns are very familiar with the needs of filmmakers. The Colorado Office of Film Television & Media maintains an online directory of Colorado Film Community Contacts that will be able to facilitate local permits, provide access and other local contacts within Colorado communities.  

For information about bringing your production to Colorado, please contact our Program Manager or the local permit authority.